fine example of Greek Revival architecture, the Shawneetown Bank
was constructed 1839-1841 to house the offices of the Bank of Illinois
at Shawneetown. The Bank of Illinois suspended operations in 1843,
but the building housed numerous financial institutions from 1854
to the 1930s. During the early nineteenth century, Shawneetown was
an important commercial center as a major outlet for the state’s
salt industry and as the location of a federal land office. The
Shawneetown Bank was added to the National Register of Historic
Places in 1972.
The three-story building is constructed of brick, with limestone
front façade, portico, and steps. The Shawneetown Bank is
currently not available for tours.
Amy Martin, Director
Sunny Fischer, Chair
Daniel J. Arnold
Julia Sniderman Bachrach
D. Jeanie Cooke
Melinda Spitzer Johnston
Anthony J. Leone, Jr.
Dr. Shirley J. Portwood