Pulaski Courthouse was built in 1848 and served as the Logan County
seat of government until 1855. Attorney Abraham Lincoln regularly
argued cases in the second-floor courtroom, helping to establish
his reputation as both an accomplished practitioner of the law and
a gifted speaker. After the county seat was moved to Lincoln in
1855, the former courthouse was used as a city hall, school, and
post office. In 1935 the state purchased the building and began
efforts to “restore” it to an 1850s appearance.
two-story brick Greek Revival building stands at the center of the
Mount Pulaski public square. The first floor, divided by a hallway,
contains six rooms representing county offices; the second floor
houses a courtroom, jury room, and judge’s chambers. The grounds
are beautifully shaded by large trees. In 1978 the Courthouse was
added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Visitors to Mount Pulaski Courthouse are provided guided tours
of the recreated county offices and courtroom. The building is not
accessible to persons with disabilities. On a panel behind the building
are photos of the interior and an outline history.