Campbell's Island, Island
Ave, East Moline
309/788-0177 Open: Dawn - Dusk
Campbell’s Island, located in the Mississippi River near present-day
Rock Island, was fought a day-long battle in the War of 1812. On
July 19, 1814, a pro-British band of Sauk Indians led by Black Hawk
attacked a force of United States regulars and rangers under Lieutenant
John Campbell. The Americans were defeated, with the loss of sixteen
Island State Memorial consists of a North Carolina granite monument
dedicated in 1908, in a mini-park overlooking the river. A bronze
plaque on the monument base, attributed to sculptor A. L. Van der
Berghen, commemorates the battle. The plaque foreground depicts
two soldiers with rifles and a woman comforting a wounded soldier.
In the background are several soldiers and a boat, with Native American
warriors emerging from trees across the river. The other three sides
of the base carry Wisconsin red granite tablets describing the memorial’s
A low concrete wall surrounds the monument, with an inner walk.
A “peace garden” contains four concrete benches, arranged
in a “Sacred Circle” design and decorated with mosaic
tiles in Sauk and Mesquakie artistic motifs. Designed by area artist
Kunhild Blacklock and dedicated in 1998, the garden was funded by
a grant through the River Action Committee of the Quad Cities.
Amy Martin, Director
Sunny Fischer, Chair
Daniel J. Arnold
Julia Sniderman Bachrach
D. Jeanie Cooke
Melinda Spitzer Johnston
Anthony J. Leone, Jr.
Dr. Shirley J. Portwood